6 cups water
2 carrots, cut into 1 cm cubes
2 beetroots, peeled & chopped into 1 cm cubes
6 tbs olive oil
2 bunches of basil, leaves picked & finely chopped
200g Greek yoghurt
225g haloumi cheese, cut into 8 slices
80g za’atar* spice
150g bag rocket leaves
30g The Chia Co. Salad Booster
*Za’atar is a generic name for a family of related Middle Eastern spice blends. It is typically made with dried herbs such as marjoram or thyme and oregano.
The secret to this dish lies in its perfect, harmonious balance between sweet and savoury.
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
2. Add the pearl barley and the water to a large saucepan of lightly salted water. Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until soft in texture but slightly chewy. You may need to add more boiling water if it runs dry. Drain. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, add the carrot, beetroot and 1/3 of the olive oil to the prepared oven tray. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until softened and lightly golden.
4. Combine the basil (reserve a few leaves for garnish), Greek yoghurt and another 1/3 of the olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Pat dry the haloumi cheese slices and toss in a bowl with the remaining olive oil and the za’atar spice. Heat a medium frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook the haloumi for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until golden.
6. In a large bowl, combine the pearl barley, carrot, beetroot and rocket leaves. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and toss to combine.
7. To serve, divide the pearl barley salad between bowls and top with the za’atar, haloumi and add the yoghurt basil mix. Garnish with the remaining basil leaves. For a delicious crunch and extra health kick, sprinkle over the Salad Booster.